Friday, June 19, 2009

Singapore fibre optic cables


Targeted for fibre installation between April 2011 to June 2011



Singapore starts the world's first nationwide fibre optic cable installation.
Fibre optic cables for Singapore's new, ultra high-speed broadband network, which will be completed by 2012, will be installed into homes and offices from September.
The company contracted to do the installation, OpenNet, will start sending out letters to homeowners from July.

Extracts from http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/436358/1/.html dated 16th June 2009

OpenNet to start installing fibre optic cables in homes, offices

Fibre optic cables for Singapore's new, ultra high-speed broadband network, which will be completed by 2012, will be installed into homes and offices from September.

The company contracted to do the installation, OpenNet, will start sending out letters to homeowners from July.

Residents have three weeks to respond and installation is free.

Those who want it installed at a later date will have to pay S$220 for apartments and S$450 for landed properties.

OpenNet says it expects to invest over S$100 million in total to complete the project, on top of the S$750 million funding from the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA).

=====

Enter your Postal Code at http://rollout.opennet.com.sg/ to check installation date for your home or office.

On the results page, you can click on 'Alert Me' to fill in your contact details for installation arrangements.

If you encounter difficulty entering the above site, enable Proxy settings in your browser, as follows:-

In Internet Explorer, click on Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settngs, and tick Proxy server, followed by Advanced to enter the Proxy Settings :-

HTTP : proxy.singnet.com.sg (proxy address) ; and 8080 (port address)

=====

OpenNet FAQs : http://www.opennet.com.sg/faq/

FAQ for Residential Premises : http://www.opennet.com.sg/faq/for-residential-premises-hdbprivate/
Typical installation within the home
What will the set up and installation entail within the premise?
What are the charges that I have to bear for the installation of the optical fibre point into my home?
-----
Will one fibre point be enough since I have home networking with multiple users at home (e.g. myself, my wife & 2 kids)? Does it support home networking?
Currently, the maximum broadband speeds offered are up to 100Mbps. Broadband through fibre will be able to provide speeds of 1Gbps and above, which are at least 10 times more than the current market offerings. These speeds can be delivered using only one optical fibre point.
OpenNet will connect one fibre point to every household. Additional fibre points can be requested through your Retail Service Providers (RSPs), if necessary.
Once the optical fibre point is established within the Home, your Retail Service Provider will work with you to establish a home network to link all your computers.
-----
How do I sign up for optical fibre?
How do I know if optical fibre is available where I live?
What if I do not agree to have it installed at this time?
Previously I was offered the fibre installation via the initial Letter of Offer but I refused to sign up. Can I still sign up now?
Do I need to get approval from the landlord to install the point in my rented home?
What can optical fibre do for me?
Can this point be used to watch pay TV as well?
After installing this point, does it mean I can enjoy high speed broadband without subscribing to SingNet/StarHub/PacNet anymore?
What is the maximum download speed of optic fibre?
I already have a Fibre connection at home. Can I sign up for additional fibre connection at the same address? How do I go about doing this?

There are also separate FAQs for Building Owners, and for Commercial Tenants.

No comments: