Saturday, August 18, 2007

OLD IS GOLD




Yesterday I read these comment by Ng Tze Yong in The New Paper ! Was the statement fair or just exaggeration ?? .

1) The Taxi Driver " A hunch-backed taxi driver with an ancient glasses and trembling fingers. I was late. And counting on a gung-ho cabby to save the day .But the taxi uncle I got never went past 50kmh on the ECP . Well, better safe than sorry, I thought. But just as I did,Uncle erupted into a barrage of chest-ripping coughs,swerving wildly into the next lane . I yanked on the safety belt, sat on edge and watched him intently for signs of a heart attack . As the trip that should have taken 20 minutes crossed the half-our mark,I could'nt hold it back any longer . "Uncle ," I asked respectfully ." How old are you ? "

Singapore is ageing and the Government's message is :Stay employed longer .It is reaching out to employers and employees . But what about the customer ? Our elderly may be ready to work .But is the Singapore customer ready to accept grey-haired service ? Nobody wants to be mean.But we also demand efficiency.

My Comment : Do you have a choice when the population is ageing ?? The young are well educated am sure they would not want to drive taxi . Wanna get young " smelly" bangra to be our taxi driver ?? Then you will comment that you are trapped in smelly land and had to wind down your windows ....... the intoxicating smell reeked of BO (body odour)

Then he went on to criticize ...
2) KOPITAM AH PEK ..... "Ah Pek,I pay 90 cents for Kopi but by the time you bring it, there's only half cup, leh" Ah pek was fuming mad. But he knew the customer was right .He hobbled and his hand trembled .
He praise ...
3) AUNTIE SUSIE CHAN , 77 years old with megawatt smile . Sussie Chin is MacDonald's second oldest worker in Singapore . Regular customers love her .They deliberately line up at her counter so they can say Hi to "auntie Sussie".
4) OLD FOLKS ... "some old folks just don't have an idea of service standards. "They will get the job done.But they will scratch their hair,dig their noise."

Let us learn how to be gracious .Learn how to say the magical words "It's OK ." even when your cab is slow and the coffee half-full.


No comments: